Friday, July 2, 2010

Tree-hugger -> Tree-killer

Let me preface this post by explaining that these trees had lived good lives: 50+ years of meticulous pruning and evergreen vibrance. 50+ years of love and tender care. 50+ years of Christmas lights and adoration. 50+ years of air-purifying greatness...



...which is why - in a moment of weakness - I took out the saw and started hacking away at these yew-rrific beauties. It is true, they had lived wonderful lives and provided happiness to thousands of passersby. But good things often go sour, and these trees were starting to outstay their welcome. Their fallen needles were breeding grounds for disgusting little creepy crawlers. Their uppermost branches were just out of reach for pruning. Their scale had started killing the bushes around them and blocking any access to the gutters and walls.



It will be a while until I truly establish my landscape plans, but clearing these trees early has certainly opened up the front of the house and given me a clearer idea of the yard's potential. There are a few other large trees I hope to take out in the coming days, stay tuned for updates...

No comments:

Post a Comment