Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Look away if easily offended . . .

Well it looks as though I have house guests - and unwelcomed ones at that. What you see below is... well, utterly vomit-inducing. The sight of these creepy crawlers scurrying across a floor or wall is enough to give anyone the shivers.

Apparently common during the summer (though I have NEVER lived in a house with them before), these House Centipedes have been presenting themselves at night - maybe one a night, or every other night.

Granted, this may not sound like a full-on infestation, but I'll be damned to not treat it as one.

I have sprayed every entry point with EcoSmart, I have purchased a dehumidifier for the basement, I have sprinkled Borax, and I have contracted an exterminator. I don't scare easily, but these little pre-historic, hard-shelled, multi-legged creatures from hell have me terrified. If I find anymore centipedes post-exterminator, I may just burn the place down.

5 comments:

  1. well fire might just be the thing that deals with them permanently. good call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, when i first read centipede, this is NOT what i was picturing

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know we don't have these at 94 Tenth Street.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ew ... mark ... ever since i looked at that picture now i can't get it out of my head. i keep imagining it everywhere. ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're called silverfish. Oh yes, they are slightly poisonous if you are bitten by them. Oh yes, they are disgusting.

    My basement was had a problem with them but they apparently love moisture and dark. Sticky bug traps laid around the walls will kill them.

    ReplyDelete